The CGIAR Excellence in Breeding Platform (EiB) (www.excellenceinbreeding.org) is recruiting a Product Lead for EBS. EiB supports breeding programs targeting Africa, Asia and Latin America to adopt best practices and technologies to improve rates of genetic gain and variety turnover, for impact on food and nutrition security, livelihoods and climate change adaptation.
The Platform is a cross-commodity platform that supports the modernization of breeding programs targeting Africa, Asia, and Latin America for greater impact on food and nutrition security, climate change adaptation and development. The Platform is part of the new CGIAR portfolio of research programs and platforms (https://www.cgiar.org/how-we-work/strategy/) and is led by the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries (www.cimmyt.org).
The location of this position will be at the CIMMYT headquarters in Texcoco, Mexico. The position may begin remotely from your home base or current location if organizational approval for the relocation to Mexico is delayed due to COVID 19.
- In leading through change
- Lead the interface between the breeding programs, the Breeding Informatics Network (BrIN), Breeding Operations for Development (BOND), Training and Adoption Network (TrAIN) and the EBS development teams
- Lead value creation by directing and managing the realization of business benefits from deployed EBS capabilities
- Lead the EBS team in its adoption of structured practices for stakeholder- and subject-matter-expert engagement to ensure the development of robust, stable software suited to user needs
- Lead the EBS users and their management in how to effectively contribute to an Agile software development culture with a mindset of curiosity and continuous improvement
- In leading EBS development
- Head the planning, resourcing and scheduling of EBS requirement gathering
- Manage the team of Requirement Analysts across domains to deliver well-instructed input to the design of EBS tools
- Lead the governance of the requirement management process, from gathering through validation to building the capability in close collaboration with BrIN, BOND, and TRAIN
- Closely cooperate with the Engineering Lead and IT Leads to ensure effective transmission of requirements to the Engineering Team and a transparent feedback-loop to the business
- Lead the definition and management of the EBS Blueprint which contains the entirety of capabilities needed to ensure appropriate technology support of a modern breeding pipeline operation
- Closely cooperate with the Business Change Managers so their Business Change Networks effectively support the gathering, validation, and selection/prioritization of requirements from the perspective of a modern breeding pipeline operation and to define and manage the EBS product strategy
- In supporting EBS adoption
- Lead the team of Requirement Analysts across domains to:
- Prepare users for testing events
- Collaborate with the Business Change Managers to ensure organizational- and user readiness for testing
- Facilitate acceptance testing in close collaboration with the Business Change Managers
- Deliver well-instructed input to the design of EBS training resources
- Closely cooperate with the Engineering Lead to ensure an effective dialogue with the business for planning and communication of release dates
- Closely cooperate with the Business Change Managers and Adoption and Outreach lead to:
- Define a standard set of tasks needed to manage and monitor the three phases for technology/capability adoption: pre-transition, transition and post transition.
- Align on engagement of Operations- and Center management to ensure organizational readiness ahead of planned releases:
- collaboration, infrastructure, equipment, process requirements are fulfilled
- people and users received adequate information and training
- incentives and rewards are in place
- effective process maintenance structures and processes are set up
- Engage and enlist their Business Change Networks and cooperate with the Adoption and Outreach Lead in the execution of the three adoption phases
- Define universal and scalable benefits realization processes and measures to be used during the three phases
- Set up and manage benefits realization processes and structures in their teams/organizations
- Lead the team of Requirement Analysts across domains to:
- As People Lead
- Accountable for directing a high-performance team: strategic thinking, communicating job expectations; collaborative across a diverse team and with partner organizations; monitoring and appraising job results; maintaining a safe and secure work environment
- Accountable for building a high-performance team: recruiting, selecting, and training the best team members
- Accountable for fostering a high-performance team: demonstrating listening skills, providing coaching and professional growth opportunities to EBS team members
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree with experience in product management of Agricultural or Horticultural variety development, Crop Sciences, or Applied Plant Genetics
- 10 years of experience in plant science, breeding research and/or seeds product development
- 5 years of experience or close exposure to designing and developing software systems that support seeds development, with emphasis on user experience
- High level of technical competency in modern plant breeding
- Strong background in process management and/or certification(s) in Business Process Management, SixSigma, LEAN
- Strong background and/or certification in project- or program management
- Experience leading change
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies and culture
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, Team Leadership, Communication, Client Orientation and Teamwork
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS21133_Product Lead, EBS. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Friday, October 22, 2021. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.