The One CGIAR Breeding Resources (BR) and Accelerated Breeding (AB) Initiatives are recruiting a Senior Business Manager to oversee financial and administrative functions under these two initiatives. The objective of BRI is to improve the genetic, economic, social, and environmental performance of breeding programs across the CGIAR-NARS breeding network. ABI sets the vision and direction for all breeding in the CGIAR, across all crops and regions and, together with our partners, for improved partnerships.
Excellence in Breeding (EiB) with Crops to End Hunger (CtEH) funders have established a baseline for breeding modernization across the CGIAR-National Agricultural Research System (NARS) network. It is now time to build on the proven methods of EiB and CtEH by extending efforts to include more NARS and expand assessments into a more holistic performance system aligned with CGIAR Impact Areas.
The mission of this new Senior Business Manager will be to lead the Business Management (BM) team under the BR and AB Initiatives. This position is responsible for administrative services and full-cycle financial reporting, financial management, and the ongoing monitoring of control systems designed to preserve Initiatives’ assets. In addition, responsibilities include liaison with Corporate Services Program Directors of the host centers and financial analysis and forecasting, budget development, cost allocation, Initiative cost planning, and the development and oversight of compliance and financial management systems, procedures, and internal controls required for global operations.
This position also provides a risk management voice to leadership regarding procedures and operational decisions. The position also ensures Initiative compliance with SO Finance and Administration regulatory requirements and internal controls.
This position will supervise personnel providing administrative, finance and change management support, as well as will be supported by project managers, work package leaders and program managers working in the initiatives.
By providing important outcomes to under-resourced peoples, the CGIAR centers help realize the founding mission of the CGIAR system – they target low-and-middle-income countries for greater impact on food and nutrition security, climate change adaptation and development. The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is one of the CGIAR not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org.
The positions will be based at CIMMYT headquarter in Texcoco, near Mexico City.
- Strategic Leadership & Governance Support
- Oversee the financial and administrative operations of the Initiatives.
- Manage a team of employees including hiring, training, scheduling, and evaluating performance, and set an example for the team through work ethic, communication skills, and professionalism
- Represent Initiative Operations and diverse perspective in various cross-organization working groups and special initiatives (e.g. cost recovery, innovative funding, allocation methodologies, etc.), strategic working groups, and other cross-departmental planning committees.
- Support initiative leaders and program managers in preparation of plans and processes to deliver on the initiative proposals and workplans.
- Stakeholder engagement and management, internally and across CGIAR Centers.
- Coordinate internal and external communication approaches to support delivery against program goals and ensure alignment with other CGIAR initiatives where appropriate.
- Compliance & Risk Management
- Work in coordination with Initiative’s Leaders to identify, manage and monitor financial risks and develop appropriate mitigation strategies.
- Develop and ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures that effectively address risks.
- Ensure compliance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), internal controls, established policies and procedures, and ensure integrity, suitability, accuracy, and timeliness of internal information.
- Financial Management & Analysis
- Direct, coordinate, consolidate and provide initiatives financial management reporting. Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models, trend, and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the initiative’s operations and business plans. Monitor expense and budgets projections, and cash flows to ensure a solid financial position.
- Lead and coordinate the Planning cost Management and annual budgeting process in collaboration with Initiative Leaders, Program Managers, Working Packages Leaders, and management.
- Ensure responsiveness and quality customer service that effectively responds to ad-hoc financial reporting, trend, and analysis requests to facilitate informed decision-making by management.
- Manage BM and other cost center budgets as assigned in close coordination with the Initiative’s Leaders.
- Oversight & Operations
- Liaise with departments and other centers representatives to ensure the initiatives receive adequate administrative support while abiding by processes and procedures required by them
- In partnership with the Initiatives leaders, ensure that financial management systems, activities and audits are aligned with SO Finance Team policies, processes, and timelines.
- Ensures internal continuation of initiative operations during all times, including periods of change or special circumstances.
- Lead the financial and operational administration of Initiative’s country offices, working closely with the Regional Finance and Admin Coordinators, and Corporate Services of each host center if needed. to ensure that Initiative’s country offices are structured and aligned to support Initiative’s strategy and objectives.
- Along with the Regional Finance and Admin Coordinators and Work Packages leaders, serve as a point of contact with internal and external stakeholders for Initiatives financial and administration, reporting and compliance questions and concerns.
- Policies & Systems
- Ensure operations (finances and administration) applications and software are correctly applied and used, ensuring configurations, integrations, reference materials, and training are provided to enable users to utilize the software to make timely and informed decisions effectively.
- Ensure that proper internal controls are in place and functioning as designed.
- Regularly review and update administrative and financial policies and procedures to verify that they remain relevant and appropriate to ensure compliance and best practices while supporting efficient global operations.
Candidates must apply here for IRS22138_BRI/ABI Senior Business Manager.
Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Friday, September 30th, 2022. Applications must include a CV with contact from 3 work references and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.